Sunday, April 24, 2011

A Gardening Kind of Day

Since the Baltimore Orioles have a rain delay, I feel the need to share my gardening accomplishments for the day.

After last years, upside down tomato plant disaster. (I'll post more about last year, when I retry this year) I returned to plant my (read my parents) garden with conventional plant. 12 little tomato plants, 6 peppers, and some beets. (My own little Shrutte farms) I managed to do this before the rain started for today, but all in all a nice little Easter.

I'm hoping that my little garden will have my own stress-relieving effects. My feelings are proven from reading the article "Gardening Promotes Neuroendocrine and Affective Restoration from Stress" from the Journal of Health Psychology. People were given stressful tasks and assigned to either garden for 30 minutes or read indoor for thirty minutes. Cortisol levels decreased in both groups, but more significantly in the gardening test group. Maybe it's all the pulling and aggression being taken out on the soil. (doi: 10.1177/1359105310365577)

Either way, I'm ready for a little summer stress relief and not looking forward to heading back to school after a week off! It looks like the Orioles will need a little stress relief after their game...

No comments:

Post a Comment